The Leadership Institute is the gift that keeps on giving. Wherever I go as a leader, I will continue to benefit from the incredible relationships built and the important lessons learned about my leadership and disability rights." – Christophe Quancard, 2019 Fellow & Manager, Global Employer Services, Deloitte
GROW. CONNECT. LEAD.
There are many leadership programs in Chicago. The Leadership Institute is the only one in the region — and country — specifically for leaders with disabilities - visible, invisible, or acquired:
During the year-long program, you’ll:
- Grow your leadership skills with 20 diverse Fellows
- Connect to civic leadership opportunities
- Get trained on disability identity and civic engagement
When your Fellows year ends, you’ll be part of the Members Network — the nation’s only advancement network for leaders with disabilities. The Members Network gives you permanent access to networking, professional development, and leadership opportunities.
MEET A FELLOW
I can plant a seed in the minds of others – that a woman of color with a disability can be a powerful and influential person. - Grishma Shah, Artist & 2018 Fellow
WHAT DOES THE FELLOWS YEAR INCLUDE?
The Leadership Institute is an immersive program that requires Fellows to commit to:
- Orientation Session (February)
- Fellows Retreat (5 full days, February - April)
- Spring and Summer Networking Events
- Half-Day Symposium (September)
- BoardLead Training (October)
- Fellows Graduation (December)
- Mentoring and small-group Fellows meetings (Year-round)
HOW ARE FELLOWS SELECTED?
A new class of up to 20 Fellows is selected every year through a competitive application process. The application opens in June and closes in October.
WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN AN APPLICANT?
Fellows are passionate about growing as leaders and becoming part of Chicago’s civic landscape. Our Fellows range from community activists and artists to entrepreneurs and corporate employees in the Chicago region.
Fellows tend to be:
- Emerging leaders with disabilities (at least 5 years of leadership experience), or
- Established leaders who have recently begun to identify as having a disability and wish to deepen their knowledge and skills among a community of leaders with disabilities.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
You may apply for the Leadership Institute if you:
- Are seeking to make change in your community
- Identify as a person with a disability (visible, invisible, or acquired)
- Live in the seven-county Chicago region
- Are looking to deepen your leadership skills or take on new leadership experiences
- Are familiar with (or willing to learn about) disability rights and identity
- Have at least 5 years of leadership experience (can be professional or volunteer)
WHAT ABOUT TUITION? ACCOMODATIONS?
Tuition represents a small fraction of the costs associated with this year long program. See this year’s tuition rates.
Advancing Leadership is committed to working with Fellows to remove potential financial barriers. Financial support requests will be discussed upon acceptance.
We also aim for a high standard of accessibility and are committed to creating a fully accessible experience. Accommodation requests will be discussed upon acceptance into the program.
Contact Robin Burnett, email@example.com or 312-994-4217, for questions about eligibility, financial support, accommodations, sponsoring a fellow, and more.
BE PART OF THE CHANGE!
Learn how you can help build a region where people with disabilities lead with power and influence.